SPECIAL ARRANGEMENTS FOR LENT AND EASTER TIME 2020
As the situation of the Coronavirus outbreak is becoming more and more critical, Cardinal John TONG has approved the following special arrangements for coming Lent and Easter Time :
• On Ash Wednesday (February 26) there will be no “public” Masses, nor the blessing and distribution of ashes.
• All Lenten works of penance and spiritual exercises, including the Way of the Cross, should be performed personally, not communally.
• As the regular gatherings of the catechumens in preparation for the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults have been considerably interrupted by the social unrest in the second half of last year, and again by the recent Coronavirus outbreak, it is not expedient to celebrate the Rite at coming Easter (April 11 and 12). The usual rite of election and the scrutinies will therefore be cancelled, and the celebration of the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults will be postponed to Pentecost (May 31).
• In compliance with liturgical norms, the Office of the Diocesan Liturgy Commission will provide —
• the rite (simplified) for the celebration of the Sacraments of Christian Initiation at Pentecost; • the rites (to be celebrated at the gatherings of catechumens) relating to the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults to be held at Pentecost.
• The usual Eucharistic celebration for the newly baptized at Pentecost will be cancelled. •