As the number of confirmed cases of the Covid-19 infection continues to grow and our local community is making every effort to contain the viral outbreak, Cardinal John TONG, after consultation with medical professionals, has decided to adopt the following precautionary measures and related recommendations until further notice:
1. Public Masses are to be further suspended. Other communal religious activities, with the exception of weddings and funerals, are to be suspended as well.
2. Parochial churches and affiliated chapels remain open for personal prayers, Way of the Cross performed individually, visits to the Blessed Sacraments and the regular exposition of the Blessed Sacrament.
3. The faithful may choose one of the following alternatives to attending Sunday Mass:
b. Reflecting on the Sunday liturgical text, reading the Bible or saying the Rosary, etc.
4. The faithful can avail themselves of various online services, such as daily Masses, formation programmes, Lenten works of penance and piety, as well as other spiritual exercises, such as daily morning prayer, Rosary and Angelus, by visiting the above-mentioned websites.
5. Normally, the Church encourages the faithful to go to confession during Lent in order to renew themselves. Nevertheless, under the present circumstances, some members of the faithful might find it risky to go to confession. They can rest assured, however, that a genuine desire for receiving the sacrament of reconciliation, together with prayers and works of penance and charity, fulfils the Lenten obligation of repentance.
6. The faithful are urged to stay at home as far as possible and to avoid taking part in social gatherings or visiting crowded venues, so as to minimize the risks of human-to-human viral transmission. For the sake of the common good, they should keep personal and public hygiene.